Saturday 2 January 2010

All done, present given!!!

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO....after MUCH, MUCH, MUCH hard work, perseverance, cutting, measuring, stress over material, money and SEWING, I finished it!!! my 1st completed full size Patchwork quilt.
I made it for my sister and brother-in-law who have moved to America recently, and I bought it out for their Christmas present. They didn't know it was coming, and I wanted it to be a surprise, which can go some way to explain why I haven't been blogging that much. All my time has been going into making this, but as my sister looks at my blog, I couldn't post about it!!!
I made it from some fabric my Mum gave me from years ago when she was into making patchworks. So I started with that, lots of the pinks, purples and greens were hers, I'm not sure where they came from but some are Laura Ashley. I cut these into 12 x 12 squares, meaning with a seam allowance of 1cm, each square on the quilt was 10x10.
So these were sewed together (see my earlier post), into strips and then the strips joined together, then I decided to make it slightly larger so added a boarder of the blue paisley print round the edge.
I struggled for ages to choose a backing fabric. I think traditionally you are meant to have a plain backing, but this fabric was FAR too beautiful to pass up. It's by Amy Butler, who makes gorgeous fabrics, I found a stockest here in the UK, and couldn't resist using it.


I finally sewed a white binding on, and got our other sister, mum and grandmother the sew a bit of it...just so we can all say we helped make it!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment